Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weight Loss

It's not happening the way they said. "They" told me that when you breastfeed the weight comes right off . Well, not for everyone apparently. Two weeks after Malachi was born, I had lost all but nine pounds of my pregnancy weight. I was pretty happy about that. Then it proceeded to stay there for the next five weeks. Until last week, when it started to go back up! What in the world! Heck, yes I'm eating a lot, but seriously, people, weight gain?! This kid is eating constantly, I'm sure its at least the 600 extra calories they say babies take from their mamas.

This has got to stop. I'm taking this in hand. Don't worry, I'm not going to starve myself. I just need to eat a little smarter. And start exercising now that my 6-8 week recovery period is officially over. Evidently the ten pound weight I carry around for hours a day isn't cutting it.

My midwife says this is perfectly normal, but its not going to kill me to replace brownies with fruits and veggies. I don't think anyway. I've never tried so I don't know for sure. I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

4 comments:

  1. All but 9 pounds!?! That's awesome! Good luck with trying to eat healthier and lose them. (I've got waaay more to lose. ha ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey gretchen. i've got way more to lose too. it just doesn't happen to be pregnancy weight. :o/ we should walk together or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what THEY don't tell you is that when he starts to eat solid foods more regularly, and begins nursing less, you lose a ton of weight all at once.

    When you breastfeed, your body actually starts to store fat as a defense mechanism because it senses that you're sustaining someone else and doesn't want you to run low on energy. When you stop breastfeeding as often, your body releases that excess because it feels you don't need it any more. With Ben and Jack, I lost quite a bit right around 8 - 9 months. That's when the breastfeeding factor REALLY pays off. Still not as much as I would like to . . . because it's more than just baby weight . . . but be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sara, that is sooo interesting. i did not know that, but it makes sense. it does help me to feel better. i also have more than just baby weight to lose, so i'm hankering to get on it. i actually was getting back on the healthy wagon when i found out i was pregnant, but it was too little too late. (its always on again, off again with me).

    ReplyDelete