Sunday, April 25, 2010

This Baby is Confusing Me

Things are progressing. I am between 3 and 4 cm dilated and somewhat effaced. For the non-parents out there, many women don't get that far until they are in labor. It's possible that Malachi will be coming soon. I am at 35 weeks + 2 days now, so its a bit early.

Some are quick to say that we are sure to have a baby within a couple of weeks. Others are quick to say not to get my hopes up, I could still have a month or more left. It's one of those things that depends on the woman and the baby, and how they prepare for birth together.

My goal, along with my midwives, is to do all we can to keep him in for about another week. Even though he may stay put for a good long while, we are taking all the precautions necessary so that waits until 36 weeks. After that, he will be full term, more likely ready to be born, and we can have a homebirth.

The game plan is very light activity (staying home from work) and taking herbs and other home remedies to stop the signs of progress when necessary. Good thing I made all those meals last weekend. I'm also, finally and reluctantly, taking an antibiotic for my chronic uti. It has been coming and going, but at this point, I need to make sure that its not a uti that's trying to bring on premature labor.

After I reach 36 weeks, he can come anytime. I will most likely go back to work until he comes or I can't take it anymore. I want him to come when he is ready. But, after all this drama, and thinking he could come anytime, its hard to think about waiting another 5-7 weeks. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that's what I'm in for.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome, Sandra! You are really doing a great job preparing for little Malachi. I applaud your determination to do what is best for you and the baby. Will be praying God blesses your efforts!